Internet and Web Technology have proved effective in the teaching and learning process especially in the field of Open and Distance Education System. The learning process in NIOS is based on the needs of the individual learner and characteristics of a learning community. Open learning gives the learner control over what, where, when and how they want to learn. The focus of attention of the open learning system is the learner and the learning process. Elimination of fixed time schedule (daily classes) and a fixed space (school) enables learners with disabilities to learn at their own convenience and pace. The flexibilities in NIOS board go in favour of disabled learners and have been proved to be the most suitable learning strategies for them.
Being an institution in Open and Distance Learning, ICT is being used as a major strategy towards reaching the unreached and providing the quality support to NIOS learners especially to persons with disability. The NIOS has its own web portal www.nios.ac.in for the dissemination of information and for providing online citizen-centric services as a major initiative of e-Governance. The NIOS Online project has brought convenience to its learners/client group, transparency in the basic operations of NIOS in the area of admission, examination, and accreditation and enhanced the quality of the support services to its learners.
The admission process in NIOS is 100% online due to which the content of the NIOS website has to be learner-friendly, simple and accessible for the learners. The website provides complete information about NIOS with rich content and designed by following the GIGW including Guidelines of WCAG. The website of NIOS is completely accessible.
NIOS Online Admission
NIOS is providing the facility of Online Registration for Admission and Examinations under NIOS Online Admission procedure. The NIOS Online is aimed at increasing educational access through the use of technology. The NIOS online admission is done through the official website of NIOS (www.nios.ac.in). The Website is designed for any surfer and is accessible at any browser and is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) friendly. NIOS Website is designed on the principal POUR which stands for Perceivable, Operable, Understandable and Robust. NIOS Website www.nios.ac.in also got the National Award for the Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, 2012 for the category “Best Accessible Website” instituted by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
General Objectives of NIOS Online Admission
- To promote e-governance and better governance as directed by the Government of India from time to time.
- To ensure transparency and improving the efficiency in operations of NIOS in its key areas of functioning like admission, accreditation and examination and other activities.
- The objective is to assist in the goal of the government of Universalisation of Secondary Education (USE) by improving and enhancing the reach of NIOS to its potential learners.
- To bridge the digital divide in between the learners of NIOS and the learners of the formal schooling system by providing the opportunity to use ICT for accessing NIOS for the purpose of admission and availing benefits associated with it.
- To facilitate the structural and functional transformation of NIOS as ODL institution by imparting its greater flexibility, openness, superior quality, and reliable services, as a service provider to its marginalized target group of learners.
Streams of NIOS Online Admissions
There are four streams of online admission in NIOS to meet the needs of learners. Admissions through these streams are mutually exclusive i.e. a learner can select for only one of them. NIOS generate an interactive Online Form for Admission. A student can fill the admission form online.
- Online Admission for all learners (Stream 1): This stream for NIOS Online Admission is open for all learners as per the eligibility criteria laid down for Secondary and Senior Secondary examinations. The date for online admission for stream 1 is open throughout the year (24×7) in the 2 blocks.
- Online Admissions for learners wanting to appear in the forthcoming October- November, Examinations (Stream 2): This stream for online admission was open for all those learners who had appeared but could not clear the Public Examination.
- The Online Admission for learners wanting to appear under the On Demand Examination System (ODES) of NIOS for Secondary Level (Stream 3): This stream for online admission is open throughout the year (Only Online Mode is available).
- Online Admission for learners wanting to appear under the On Demand Examination System (ODES) of NIOS at Sr. Secondary Level (Stream 4): This stream for online admission is also open throughout the year (Only Online Mode is available).
Online Payment Gateway
NIOS provide a facility for making Online Payment through Credit/Debit Card, Net Banking for Online Admission and Registration for Examination. The online payment facility is operational since 2007 with the introduction of Online Admission. The significant outcome was observed when 35-40% Learners used online payment facility for Admission and 50-55% Learners used this facility for Registration of Examination.
With online payment gateway, learner can pay his/her admission and examination fee online through credit/debit card (Master/Visa) and Net Banking. Online payment facility is also available under the e-accreditation system. NIOS has introduced the facility of Submission of Examination Forms Online. A Student can pay the fee through Online Mode by Credit/Debit Card (Master/VISA) and Net Banking.
|Courses||Subjects||Male||Female||Exempted Categories||TOC Fee|
|Secondary||For 5 Subjects||1000||750||550||100|
|For each additional Subject||150||150||150|
|Sr. Secondary||For 5 Subjects||1150||900||625||100|
|For each additional Subject||180||180||180|
- Examination Fees (Public Examination): 150/- per subject + 70/- additional for a subject having practical.
- Examination Fees (On Demand Examination): 250/- per subject + 100/- additional for a subject having practical.
- Miscellaneous fees: 100/- each for Duplicate Mark Sheet, Duplicate Migration Certificate, Duplicate Certificate and Duplicate Identity Card.